[c-nsp] eBGP & backup static route

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Feb 17 09:21:23 EST 2009

Saku Ytti <> wrote on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 14:59:

> On (2009-02-17 13:50 +0000), Timothy Arnold wrote:
>
>> #show ip route vrf XXX 10.101.0.0
>> Routing entry for 10.101.0.0/16
>>   Known via "bgp 20547", distance 20, metric 0
>> #show ip route vrf XXX 10.101.0.0
>> Routing entry for 10.101.0.0/16
>>   Known via "static", distance 250, metric 0
>>
>> The issue I have is that it the static route is not replaced by the
>> eBGP learned route when the ADSL returns, even though the distance
>> is lower? It is only replaced when the backup link is terminated.
>
> If those are different routers, you need to redistribute the static as
> inferior BGP route, i.e. reduce local-pref to 80.

don't think this will help as a locally-originated route is preferred
over almost anything due to the higher weight (32768, if I recall
correctly), so the eBGP path will not be installed (and would win over
the static due to admin distance). you need to set the weight on the
eBGP path to be the same (or higher) value or reduce it to zero (to
match the eBGP path) when redistributing the static (not 100% sure if
the latter works, I think it does)..

	oli