[c-nsp] 7507s: which image for production? For IPv6?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 19 02:37:16 EST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:54:42PM -0600, neal rauhauser wrote:
>    I do believe we'll be seeing new code from Cisco before too long and I'm
> starting to get ready for that.

For the 7500?  Unlikely.  You'll see maintenance releases in 12.0S and
12.2, but seeing "new code" would seriously surprise me.

> We've got 12.0S in the field now and I'm
> bringing one machine up to 12.2.46a to see how it acts. I've got 256 meg
> RSP4s, VIP 2-50 that are getting upgraded to VIP4-80 this week, OC3 and DS3
> outside and just 100 mbit inside. The RSP4s work for me - no customers in
> APNIC space so we refuse those routes. The fanciest thing we do is netflow -
> which image train is most stable?

Unless there is a feature in 12.2 that you want, or you have problems with
12.0S, I'd stick to 12.0S - it works.

>   I'm often unsupervised in the evening hours and I'm going to have a couple
> of leftover machines with a full complement of the older VIPs once the
> upgrade is complete. If I'm going to put up IPv6 as a test what's working
> best these days?

"Working best" and "working on 7500" are two very different things.

About the only way to get IPv6 on the 7500 at all is 12.2S* based trains
- we've used 12.2(18)S for a while, and 12.2(18)S13 works fine on our
7200s.

We have decommissioned our last 7500 about 3 years ago - due to "it's slow,
it's old, it uses too much space and energy, it's too complex inside, and
thus the IOS support for it is falling apart".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de