[c-nsp] 7507s: which image for production? For IPv6?

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Feb 19 15:37:13 EST 2009

neal rauhauser wrote:
>    I do believe we'll be seeing new code from Cisco before too long and I'm
> starting to get ready for that. We've got 12.0S in the field now and I'm
> bringing one machine up to 12.2.46a to see how it acts. I've got 256 meg
> RSP4s, VIP 2-50 that are getting upgraded to VIP4-80 this week, OC3 and DS3
> outside and just 100 mbit inside. The RSP4s work for me - no customers in
> APNIC space so we refuse those routes. The fanciest thing we do is netflow -
> which image train is most stable?

We're trying desperately to torpedo every last 7507 we've got, but
current choices are:

12.0(27)S5 for T1 aggregation
12.0(32)S10 for (small POP) core routers

I tried 12.0(32) in the hopes of gaining some production experience with
the version, so we'd know if it was safe down the road and we ever felt
we'd need to advance past 12.0(27)S5.  We also had some MPLS TE issues
with mixed IOS versions, but we've since decided that MPLS TE is simply
No-Go on 7500s for us, unfortunately.  We had horrible packet loss with
12.0(30) and 12.0(31), and stayed away from those like the plague.

I foresee some light testing with 12.4 someday, unless/until I get a
clear roadmap for replacing them completely.

pt