[c-nsp] IOS Trains differnces

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Sat Feb 21 08:36:19 EST 2009

lambert at psc.edu (Michael Lambert) wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2009, at 20:55, Buhrmaster, Gary wrote:
>
> >I am thinking that there is belief that customers
> >need "wizards" to assist them.
>
> Agreed.  Anyone who is responsible for, say, 7200s and above should be
> able to download images using FTP (or find a new line of work).

Not really, since "law" (not mine, but Cisco's) requires downloaders
to explicitly agree to export regulations for IOS images with any
crypto (basically all of them you'd want to use).

So yes, the admin might be capable of using FTP, yet he mustn't.
To further overcomplicate the downloading process with wizards
(which, btw, don't always work; try an ASR1002 in the software
advisor - the hardware list page always gives an error and doesn't
let you through), is of course idiocy and Cisco is to blame for that.

Yours,
	Elmi.