[c-nsp] Cisco Refurbished Equipment Program

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Feb 23 10:18:48 EST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:09:26AM -0500, Chris Wallace wrote:
> Probably just a fluke, it happened to be that one of the 9 or so fans
> wasn't spinning at the proper RPM's.

Which is exactly my point - the fans are monitored very well by the onboard
diagnostics, and I find it surprising that a "refurbished" router (which
should be checked for defects, or near-defects) should have fan tray
that's already near-failed...

In my experience with 6500 FANs, they only complain when one of the fans
is really defective, as in "you take out the try, 8 fans will continue to
spin for 30 seconds, the 9th will stop after 3 seconds".

But we're not using Cisco refurb any way - as has been said: they seem
to be doing this to show "good will" and stop customers from getting
their hardware elsewhere - but all they do is demonstrate lack of
interest.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de