[c-nsp] Security question regarding VTP in a L2 shared environment

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Mon Feb 23 12:09:46 EST 2009

"Hypothetically, if there is no L2 or L3 security in place, would it
be as simple as creating a "sw acc vlan 230", and allowing 230 on the
trunk port on my switch to start scoping about at the other end?"

Well, the L2 security in question is that on the other end of the
trunk, it *should* be configured to only allow the VLANs that you're
supposed to be sharing.
If that is not configured, then yes, you could add access ports to the
other VLANs, then add those VLANs to the trunk, and your access-port
hosts would be on that VLAN.

Since your intent is not to do that, you should configure your end of
the trunk to only allow the VLANs that you intend to share with your
layer-2 partner.

-Geoff