[c-nsp] PA-GE - Incrementing Ignored and Overrun Errors

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:15:25 EST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 16:57:38 Gert Doering wrote:
> "easily", no - the router performance PDF lists 46-71 Mbit/s for the
> VIP2-50 (for minimum sized packets), and GEIP is a VIP2-50.

> This is *old* hardware.

Indeed.  We have a 7507 running a 12.4 IOS in production, and have both a GEIP
and a GEIP+ in the box.  The GEIP is indeed a PA-GE in a VIP2-50 (in fact,
that is how I got a GEIP, by putting a VIP2-50 and a PA-GE together.  The PA-
GE was out of a 7204 that was 'deceased' and I had some VIP2-50's lying
around; I put the PA-GE from the 7200 into the VIP2-50 (didn't work with a
VIP4-80) and it came up as a GEIP.).  The dual-width PA for the GEIP+ is an
interesting beast; the archives of this list have lots of information on it.

The GEIP is used as a backup interface in my setup, with the GEIP+ handling
the primary interfaces (several VLANs, and NAT going on), and I'm getting five
minute averages over 100Mb/s with it.  The GEIP isn't being stressed, so don't
have any data there.  The other interface in the box is a POS OC3, so I'm
limited to 150Mb/s regardless.

I will say this: the 7401 that is paired with the 7507 is somewhat faster; the
7507 is running RSP8's.  I don't, unfortunately, have any metrics on just how
much faster the 7401 is, sorry.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer