[c-nsp] EoMPLS restrictions

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Wed Feb 25 20:02:07 EST 2009

On 25/02/2009, at 10:01 PM, <nasir.shaikh at bt.com>
<nasir.shaikh at bt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone shed some light on the following limitation of EoMPLS?
> Layer 2 connection restrictions:
> - You cannot have a direct Layer 2 connection between provider-edge
> routers with EoMPLS
> Why is this?
> I have a MAN running MPLS where my PE are directly connected. I need
> to do extend my datacenter LANs from location A to location B. I was
> thinking of using EoMPLS but this limitation is bothering me because
> I don't understand this limitation.
> Anyone care to explain?

Can't see a problem with this and have implemented basically exactly
what you have outlined.  We are running 2 pairs of 6500s providing
redundant 10GigE paths between a couple of datacentres.  They act as
PEs and provide port based EoMPLS xconnects to other 6500s at the
DC's.  Those 6500s run dot1q over an etherchannel constructed from a
bundle of these EoMPLS vc's.  Works very well.  Only issue is layer 2
fault identification (see recent thread on Fast UDLD Timers for the
ugly details).

David