[c-nsp] PA-GE - Incrementing Ignored and Overrun Errors

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Feb 26 10:01:32 EST 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 02:34:42 Gert Doering wrote:
> With an RSP8 and only two active interface at a time, throughput of that
> box will likely be better (and less bug-prone) if you disable "distributed
> switching".

Some of the features I'm using disable dCEF implicitly for packets touched by
those features (Stateful NAT and CBAC, for instance, if I'm reading the docs
right), but I have done that in the config anyway due to the performance
benefits with few interfaces.  Even before explicitly disabling dCEF, I wasn't
seeing but a handful of packets take that switching path according to 'show
int stats'.  And, before anyone says it: I'm fully aware a 7200 with NPE-G1 or
G2 would be a better choice for that feature mix, but I used what I had on
hand to replace a failed 7400, and I don't currently own any 7200s.

Oddly enough, though, with the particular feature mix I'm using the 7400 is
showing less CPU% used and getting better performance (it's documented to do
153Mb/s using CEF according to the same routerperformance.pdf), but I'm seeing
the PXF get involved on a few paths (haven't yet hit any PXF bugs that I know
of, thankfully), but even then the percentage of packets taking the PXF path
is a very small fraction.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer