[c-nsp] weird OSPF behavior

Steven Fischer sfischer1967 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:26:15 EST 2009

I am seeing weird behavior on OSPF between a 2811 Router, and a 4510R
switch.  A number of google searches on this came up empty.  It appears as
if OSPF is dropping with the following message on hourly intervals,
sometimes one hour, sometime two hours, sometimes three hours.
005840: Feb 26 15:28:05.415 EST: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 300, Nbr
192.168.208.1 on Vlan208 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Dead timer
expired

This message came from the 4510R

note, the OSPF config is on the SVI interface, not on the physical
interface.  The config for each side is as follows:

4510R
interface Vlan208
 description Management Interface
 ip address 192.168.209.254 255.255.254.0
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip ospf authentication message-digest
 ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 7 <hidden>
 ip ospf network point-to-point
 ip ospf resync-timeout 12
 ip ospf dead-interval minimal hello-multiplier 4
 ip ospf retransmit-interval 1
end

2811

interface FastEthernet0/1
 ip address 192.168.208.1 255.255.254.0
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip ospf authentication message-digest
 ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 7 <hidden>
 ip ospf network point-to-point
 ip ospf resync-timeout 12
 ip ospf dead-interval minimal hello-multiplier 4
 ip ospf retransmit-interval 1
 duplex auto
 speed auto
end
I've checked the MTU's, and they look consistent.  Anything obvious I'm
overlooking?  This is at a remote site, and I've thought about having them
swap the cable, but it would seem odd that a cable would so consistely fail
at hourly intervals.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance
--
To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his
glorious presence without fault and with great joy