[c-nsp] PBR on a 6.5K

Mezoth mezoth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:55:09 EST 2009

I have done some work on this recently under the 12.2(33)SRC2
codebase, and as far as I can tell it is a hardware limitation that
putting a PBR to
a tunnel is a software switched traffic path.  This does hit the
control-plane for
every packet and without some other configuration there is no way
around it - and Cisco
has so far told me it is not in the planned list of improvements for
the SR(x) train.

 However, I found an interesting work around, in that PBR->VRF is
hardware switched.  So pushing the traffic to a VRF, and having that
VRF with a default
route to the tunnel endpoint effectively pushes the traffic to the
tunnel.  The
downside is that this is not truly bidirectional for the tunnel, so it
depends on your
application on if this work around would apply.

 - Eric Lent