[c-nsp] PIX causing problems with TLS esmtp session

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Fri Feb 27 16:00:05 EST 2009

There is one particular outside mail server we're having trouble sending to. Basically, our server (Groupwise) does an EHLO, and the other server offers STARTTLS. Our server sends a STARTTLS, sends a few bytes of encrypted data, and then the other server sends a RST.

If we try a test server outside the PIX, everything is fine.

I've looked at "no fixup protocol smtp 25" and "no inspect esmtp" and those already seem to be in place.

Could the pix be doing something with the certificate? Could esmtp inspection still be on?

Thanks!

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology