[c-nsp] IPv6 HSRP Support in 12.0S?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 11:53:32 EST 2009

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:38:17PM +0000, David Freedman wrote:
>> Even when you get it, it is only implemented for link-local addresses
>> so you have to use RA or static routes :(
>
> Unfortunate, indeed.  Do you know whether there is work in progress to
> get it fixed/improved to handle "global" router IP addresses?
>
> While it might not follow the IETF's vision of "how things should be",
> we prefer to configure our servers' default route towards well-known
> router addresses (<subnet>::1), and have them ignore RAs...

There is significant difference of opinion in the IETF about the value
and future of RA in IPv6, as I found out recently when I tried to figure
out how IPv6 DHCP was supposed to work (answer: the spec is broken)

This thread (if you have an afternoon free) and surrounding threads are
worth reading:

http://marc.info/?l=ipng&m=122391355810549&w=2

As far as I could tell:

  * IPv6 and the RA mechanism were spec'ed back when DHCPv4 was not
widely used, and IPX autoconfig was the model they were aiming for

  * Virtually no work has been done in the field since then, so the
hard-learnt lessons of the last decade in IPv4 are simply not there in IPv6

  * There are a lot of architecture astronauts in the IETF (IPSec for ND
- whose idea was that?)

  * The stateful-address/stateful-other bits in the RA are junk.

The posts by David Hankins of the ISC agree with my personal position,
including this one:

http://marc.info/?l=ipng&m=122406652232186&w=2