[c-nsp] IOS Initial setup function & DHCP

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Jan 7 22:23:33 EST 2009

Can any Cisco people tell me if when a router or switch (router in this
case) is at the initial setup prompt after the very first power-on if
the router enables DHCP on it's interfaces?  I believe I had a brand-new
7201 running a 12.4T attempt a DHCP DISCOVER while it was at the initial
setup yes/no prompt.  All interfaces were up by default until I said
'no' to the prompt at which time all interfaces were shutdown.  Can
anyone tell me if an IOS device will attempt to use DHCP during the
'setup' process?

The reason I ask would take too long for me to explain tonight.  If I'm
right though it kicked a configuration problem in just the right spot to
set off a major multi-hour outage for us.

Thanks
  Justin