[c-nsp] Procurve DHCP relay question

Eric Cables ecables at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:52:50 EST 2009

I'm in the middle of a transition from HP -> Cisco, with an HP 2848 as the
"core", so sorry if this e-mail is off topic.  I am having a hard time
getting DHCP relay to work, and was hoping someone with HP experience could
chime in with some assistance.

I've created a new VLAN, and have specified a helper-address to point to a
DHCP server that manages dozens of scopes.  The new VLAN functions fine,
assuming users are given a static address, but DHCP does not appear to work
at all.

To troubleshoot I pointed the helper-address to a system with Wireshark, but
I don't see any requests coming in when a user on the new VLAN requests a
new DHCP address, indicating that the request is not being forwarded
properly.  Is there any debugging available on the procurve to troubleshoot
this further?

I've read a number of documents describing how to configure DHCP relay on a
procurve, and as far as I can tell the recommendations match my
configuration.

Here are the features enabled on the 2848:
 - 'ip routing' is enabled
 - 'dhcp-relay' does not show in a 'show run', indicating it is enabled (the
default)
 - A 'ip helper-address x.x.x.x' statement is configured on the VLAN
interface
 - There is a route back to the destination helper-address
 - Connectivity works on the VLAN in question, assuming users are statically
configured

Any advice would be appreciated..

-- Eric Cables