[c-nsp] Softnet replacement?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Jan 11 04:20:35 EST 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:28:28AM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> I was informed that Cisco no longer sells Softnet support.  What should I
> be asking for in order to open TAC cases directly (not via our Cisco Gold
> Partner) as well as to be able to download new IOS versions?

"Softnet" is a term unknown to me.  If I assume a typo, and that you wanted
to type "Smartnet" - Cisco still seems to sell these.

The rules have changed, though - in earlier times, we could buy something
called "packaged smartnet", which came with some paperwork and magic numbers
on it, and you had to enter the license key into the SCC web interface.  The
pricing was based on "categories", depending on router/switch model.

These days, when we buy the same service, we get a specific quote for the
type of hardware we use (no more categories), and if we accept, our
distributor(!) goes to SCC and activates the smartnet contract for us.

On one hand, this is making the process easier (less messing with SCC),
on the other hand, it's making it more messy (extra effort requried to
attach the new contract to your CCO login).

[Insert rant about unusability of SCC here, at least for infrequent users,
but it's not like web usability is a priority for anyone at Cisco]

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de