[c-nsp] subscriber termination issues

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Tue Jan 13 16:56:13 EST 2009

Mike,

The complexity and the economics of the solution would widely vary
according to the scale you need to achieve, so if you could provide this
info, it would be helpful.

On the more general approach, this is a real whole solution, and not
just a set of features you turn in 10 minutes, so I would strongly
suggest you work with a local Cisco representative (either an
integration partner or maybe even Cisco pre sales people)

Now, to the technical details.

I think what you are mostly looking for is called ISG in Cisco
terminology (Intelligent Service Gateway), and the reference document is
here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/isg/configuration/guide/12_2sr/isg_1
2_2sr_book.html
http://www.cisco.com/web/HR/expo08/pdf/Damjan_Marion_ISG_Deployment_Mode
ls.pdf

It's a big document, but I suggest you take a quick look in it before
going a bit deeper.

In general ISG can support both PPPoE and DHCP (called IP Sessions)
clients. It can also do other kinds of PPP, like PPP over L2TP coming
from a remote LAC.
Cisco also has support for PPPoE (but not DHCP sessions) without ISG,
but then you do not have the concept of a portal or dynamic services.
ISG brings the concept of services per session and portal redirection.
Mind you that there are other solutions for just a walled garden we can
discuss later on if you are interested.

One word about the portal solution: it is separate from the Cisco
solution and is delivered by partners.
Look at:
http://www.broadhop.com
http://www.comability.com

The later also has a full customer care solution for many of the things
you described.

Arie