[c-nsp] Router Per Destination Load balancing

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 22:42:40 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 14/1/09, Basha <ismath.shaan at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Basha <ismath.shaan at gmail.com>
> Subject: [c-nsp] Router Per Destination Load balancing
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Date: Wednesday, 14 January, 2009, 2:26 PM
>
> Say I have 2 512kbps links between 2 routers and I am doing
> per destination
> load balancing, I start a session which require more than
> 512 kbps traffic,
> how does the router handle the excess traffic? does it send
> it via the other
> link? does it drop the traffic?

If you are doing per-destination sharing then the behaviour will be the same (for that traffic) as if you didn't have the 2nd 512k link. The traffic will queue until it exceeds buffers and then be dropped.

Depending on what sort of traffic it is, a higher level protocol may notice the dropped packets and implement some sort of flow control to slow the session down (but that has nothing to do with the router).

regards,
Tony.