[c-nsp] 3560 QoS/shaping

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 14 13:41:26 EST 2009

I'm configuring my first 3560s, and am a little shocked to see that
per-port output policing (via service-policy output <policyname>) as we've
done for years on 3550s isn't permitted on the 3560.

Trying it results in
  police command is not supported for this interface
  Configuration failed!
  Warning: Assigning a policy map to the output side of an interface not
  supported

This is two completely separate errors...the first saying you can't police
the output of a port, the second saying you can't even define an output
service-policy for a port.

It appears the 3560-way to do this is to use srr-queue bandwidth shape on
the interface, but the syntax for this command isn't nearly as flexible as
being able to create a number of arbitrarily sized policing service
policies, applying one to each policed port...and only allows shaping
classified traffic by dscp marking it on input and then shaping it to
port-rate/N where N is an integer from 0 to 65535.  I suppose that's fine
if I want to shape classified traffic to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc. of the
interface rate...but what if the interface rate is 100mbit/s and I want to
shape a class of traffic on a particular port's egress to 60mbit/s?

Is this possible on the 3560?