[c-nsp] Combined AUX/Console Port, HOW do i use AUX ?

Brad Henshaw brad.henshaw at qcn.com.au
Mon Jan 19 18:30:16 EST 2009

Anton.Schweitzer at o2.com wrote:

> i need to use the AUX port on a Cisco 876, but there ist
> only a Combined AUX/CON Port. we need to use PAD on the AUX
> Port and need to know how the router decides what is active
> console or aux ???

You need to set 'modem enable' on line con 0 then configure line aux 0.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configur
ation/guide/dialbkup.html#wp1015415

I don't know whether PAD is supported on the AUX port of the 870 series
but the above should provide a starting point.

Personally I find it annoying that Cisco didn't just put both console &
aux ports on these routers... configuring the console port as an aux
port makes on-site management and configuration (when the modem needs to
be unplugged) a right pain in the arse.

Regards,
Brad