[c-nsp] Connecting a VRF between routers

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Tue Jan 20 08:43:39 EST 2009

Firstly, YES, I've kind of asked this before, but with the different ways
people do and understand things all over the world, I've not had a response
that actually works.

So.. Simply.

I have, lets just say 2 (two) routers and or switches (3560, etc with VRF
support).

I want to, at a layer 2 level, link a vrf on one router/switch to another.

What I am meaning here is.  If I type 'show ip arp vrf BLAH' on one device,
I want to see the ARP for devices connected into the VRF on the other
router.

I don't particularly want to use tunnels due to MTU issues.

A VLAN with an SVI on a switch and a sub-e on a router work fine, but only
if I have a full layer2 switched path all the way.

In some cases I do not.  An example would be when we use another carrier to
link two cities and they have an MPLS cloud in the middle.  I want to link a
VRF to another VRF on each side of the cloud.

I am not sure if what I want to do makes sense.. Some people just suggest
MPLS, but it seems like an over complex solution if we're talking about 2-3
routers/switches.

If I am not being clear about something, please feel free to ask me for more
info.

--
Skeeve Stevens, RHCE
skeeve at skeeve.org / www.skeeve.org

eintellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net
--
I'm a groove licked love child king of the verse
Si vis pacem, para bellum