[c-nsp] Public table on 7206 VXR with NPE-G1 - 512MB or 1GB?

The Mickster mickster4470 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:59:51 EST 2009

We need to shift some routers around in our network, and we have a couple of
7206-VXR routers with NPE-G1 which we'd like to redeploy into a situation
where they'll need to take the full public BGP table.

Currently they have 512MB of RAM, and the NPE-G1 appears to top-out at 1GigB
of RAM.  Can anyone tell me if I can do the full table on 512 MB, or if I
need upgrade to !Gig, or is running the full table on a 7206-VXR a lost
cause anyway?

I'd run some tests, but it's going to be pain to get one of the 7206 to
where we can use it for testing without shuffling a bunch of stuff around.
I'd really like to know if it's going to function before going to all of
that work, so I'm hoping someone on this list can offer me a clue...

-Mick