[c-nsp] DHCP Collision Detection

Crist Clark Crist.Clark at globalstar.com
Wed Jan 21 19:25:43 EST 2009

Need the answer quick or just I'd test it myself, and I didn't see it
specifically answered in the documentation.

Will the IOS DHCP server detect collisions if the address is in
use, but the host will not respond to pings? That is, the host
is firewalled and will not respond to ICMP echo requests, but
does the switch/router still realize that it's there since it still
resolves the layer 2, Ethernet address through ARP and try to
hand out that address?

This is for a 4507 with IOS 12.2(31). Thanks.

Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387