[c-nsp] MPLS Question - Applying QoS using MQC

Pelle perc69 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 03:21:38 EST 2009

Hi.

> I have just have a few questions about MQC and how to use the class-map
> match command to match incoming traffic from MPLS VPN customers at the
> PE so that we can apply the correct QoS treatment.

First of all, the features available by MQC differ a lot depending on
the platform and linecard used. In short: on a router platform
(18/28/38/7200, 12k, CRS-1 etc) you have much richer functionality
than on switch platforms (35/37/45/6500 etc).

> 1/ Match Sub-Interfaces ???
>
> For example, we have some MPLS VPN customers that are connected via
> sub-interfaces (eg: Gi0/1.902) and the class-map match command doens't
> allow you to match on sub-interfaces. Any ideas on how to match traffic
> from sub-interfaces?

Why would you match on the sub-interface? Are you trying to create a
master policy-map covering all sub-interfaces and apply it on the main
interface? The by far easiest solution is to apply the policy-map on
the sub-interface itself.

If you would like to impose a bandwidth cap in the egress direction,
you can't use a normal "bandwidth percent" statement in the
policy-map, because the percent is taken from the main interface
bandwidth. This is solved by using a H-QoS policy
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/qos_mqc_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1060235)

> 2/ Match ADSL ???
>
> Some MPLS VPN customers are also connected via ADSL (PPPoX) and get
> placed in the corresponding VRF by radius. How do we perform a match on
> these MPLS VPN customers that are connecting via ADSL?
>
> I see that we can match on virtual-template but currently all of our
> ADSL subscribers use the same virtual-template.
>
> test-mpls-cr(config)#class-map match-all TEST
> test-mpls-cr(config-cmap)#match input-interface virtual-template ?
>  <1-1000>  Virtual-Template interface number
>
> If I set up a new virtual-template for MPLS VPN customers this might
> work, but then not all ADSL MPLSVPN customers will want to pay for QoS,
> so I guess we will have to create TWO new virtual-templates (one for
> those MPLS VPN customers who want QoS and the other for customers who
> don't want to pay for QoS). Any others ideas on how this can be
> accomplised?

When running PPPoX you can apply a policy-map on the virtual-access
interface by sending appropriate attributes in the RADIUS (TACACS+)
reply. That way each customer can have different QoS policies.

> 3/ Match ATM interfaces???
>
> How do I match MPLS VPN customers that are connected via ATM???
>
> Given that MPLS VPN customer's can use overlapping IP addresses, I don't
> think we can match on source or destination IP addresses.

That doesn't matter at all. The QoS classifying/marking/queuing are
totally decoupled from routing.

--
Pelle