[c-nsp] LAC - Disable Accounting messages just for L2TP users

Victor Lyapunov victor.lyapunov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 03:59:32 EST 2009

Hello all

I am trying to perform some tests where a Cisco router takes up the
role of a LAC, forwarding PPP calls
to the appropriate LNS according to the domain name provided by the user.
At the same time this LAC must be able to localy terminate PPP
sessions offering internet services to
subscribers. I have used a fairly simple config like the

aaa group server radius SUBS
 server a.b.c.d auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813
 throttle accounting 150
 load-balance method least-outstanding
!
aaa authentication ppp SUBS group SUBS
aaa authorization network SUBS
aaa accounting network SUBS
 action-type start-stop
aaa accounting network default none

vpdn-group <l2tp-domain>
 request-dialin
 protocol l2tp
 domain <l2tp-domain>
 initiate-to ip x.x.x.x
 source-ip y.y.y.y
 local name LAC
 l2tp tunnel password 0 cisco

bba-group pppoe PPPOE
 virtual-template 10

interface Virtual-Template10
 ip unnumbered Loopback0
 peer default ip address pool PPP_POOL_1
 ppp authentication pap SUBS
 ppp authorization SUBS
 ppp accounting SUBS

The problem is that for the users that are localy terminated we need
radius accounting. On the other hand
no accounting is required for the L2TP forwarded users. Still the
router generated accounting Start / Stop
messages for these VPDN users creating extra load for the radius server.

Is there a way to differentiate the accounting between VPDN and localy
terminated subscribers? Specificaly disable
accounting for L2TP fordwarded users and at the same time use radius
accounting for localy terminated subscribers.

Any help is welcomed