[c-nsp] upgrading stack of 3750E's

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Mon Jan 26 04:48:32 EST 2009

We are testing the following setup :

65XX-VSS - etherchannel - 3750E stack (2 switches) - teaming enabled
servers

This should give maximal uptime, overriding defects on the router or
3750E switches. We intend to use these switches in L2 mode only,
managing them via the mgmt fa0 interface.

I'm now looking into the upgrading procedure for the stack, but I can't
seem to find a way to do an upgrade in which at least of the 3750E's
stays operational, thus minimalizing down time. As far as I can tell
from the doc, there is no way to upgrade e.g. the master switch, have it
reload (keeping the second switch operational), and after the master
becomes operational, (auto-)upgrade the second switch. Am I missing
something or is this scenario really not possible ?

Another scenario would be removing the switch from the stack (after
bringing down all ports first via console), changing the ip address of
the switch, bringing the mgmt port back online, do the upgrade, bring
the power down, reconnect it to the stack and the power up it again.
Given the fact that the stack cables are rather fragile, this doesn't
seem the right way to do, unless it is possible to shut down the stack
ports by a CLI command ?

Anyone suggestions, pointers to alternative upgrade procedures,...

Thanks,

Wim Holemans

Network Services University of Antwerp

Netwerkdienst Universiteit Antwerpen