[c-nsp] QoS with Voice and Video

Mike Louis MLouis at nwnit.com
Tue Jan 27 17:43:18 EST 2009

I generally use CAC (call admission control on both my voice and video queues). I setup my voice on the priority queue with a priority bw reservation equal to my cac restrictions. I set the DSCP value to EF and match all of that to the service providers queue. Then i will setup the video with CAC value + 20% to allow for queueing of frames (per best practice from cisco) and mark that traffic DSCP 34 or AF41. I place this traffic in a bandwidth reserved queue only - non-priority, using the CAC Value + 20% as the bw statement.

I would also verify my topology from a hub and spoke standpoint and match CAC values there as well. All of this is important to maintaining proper quality. You can go farther with drop precedence within the queues themselves to protect certain classes within each queue from being dropped based on queue depth but i normally leave those values at the default unless i have multiple types of priority traffic in the same queue.

HTH

Mike