[c-nsp] QoS with Voice and Video

Pelle perc69 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:47:11 EST 2009

Hi.

> This isn't specifically Cisco but hopefully is fairly on-topic.
>
> What is the best practice (and real world) handling for voice and video
> queues?

That depends on the type of video, is it video conferencing (IP/VC) or
streaming video (IP/TV)? IP/VC are interactive video, and have more or
less the same requirements on latency, jitter and loss as VoIP. IP/TV
on the other hand can handle more latency, jitter and loss.

> I am working on QoS implementation over our enterprise WAN (provider
> supplied MPLS) and was told that it was ok to combine voice and video in
> the priority queue, or even put video as priority and give voice a
> dedicated, but not priority, class.

For IPVC that's ok. The recommendation from Cisco AFAIK is to have
both VoIP and IP/VC in priotity queues.

> Does anyone have any input
> or references about what the best approach is?

Here are a Cisco document:
Service Provider QoS Overview:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns341/ns396/ns172/ns143/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a00801c796d.shtml

--