[c-nsp] Campus Network Design advice

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Wed Jan 28 03:59:43 EST 2009

Marc,

I would guess that the decision would mostly be related to whether you
have a requirement to have L2 direct connectivity between the buildings.

I would suggest to try and avoid spanning L2 VLANs beyond the
distribution, and run pure L3 between DIST-CORE devices.

If you do require L2 connectivity between the buildings you could
consider using MPLS capable distribution devices (for example 7600) and
run some L2 MPLS PW's for specific applications which require the L2
connections between buildings.
If this is too complex (usually the case in smaller deployments), then
you could also look at QinQ solutions between the buildings for specific
VLANs.

Arie