[c-nsp] BGP "network" netmask strangeness

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jan 28 05:21:50 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 10:53 +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> In short: I assumed that the BGP "network X mask Y" statement required
> the exact prefix to exist in the RIB; that it wasn't enough for some
> subnet of this to exist. (Disregarding any redistribute X +
> aggregate-address etc.) Am I wrong in assuming that?

I tested this on the same CPE in another VRF and that works as expected;
the /24 prefix isn't announced when configuring the /21 network
statement. A /21 Null0 prefix is announced as expected.

So it seems to be a bug. It's a C3560 running 12.2(35)SE5 IP Services.
I'll start searching the Bug Toolkit and Release Notes...

Regards,
Peter