[c-nsp] Campus Network Design advice

Chris Gauthier chris at k7sle.com
Wed Jan 28 19:42:58 EST 2009

My previous employer had 14 sites with a building count ranging between 1 and 20. At each site (aka campus), we had 20 vlans or so. Though it was not a Cisco network, the concept is the same, we had an L3 chassis switch in the core as the campus router. From there, we extended L2 vlans to each building's distribution switch and downstream to each access switch. I was careful at the locations I directly managed to keep the vlans pruned and porganized so they touched as few switches as necessary. The campus backbone was 1GB Fiber and the core was based on a 300 Mbps fiber metro ring. We simply use L3 routed connections in the core and L2 at the distribution and access layers. Worked great. In the extended star topology that others implemented (before I came on board), the powers that be did not use STP. Generally, things were acceptable. I wanted RSTP, but that's a gripe for another day. OSPF was the routing algorithm. 2 of the L3 switches interfaced with the border routers.

At my current employer, we are facing a similar situation as Marc, a flat network (with FAR fewer nodes) for 14 sites interconnected using T-1 circuits. I'm going to this same basic concept as above... a "standardized" ip addressing scheme and a standardization of vlan numbers at each site. We have very little at the access layer that needs anything special other than IP phones.

Chris