[c-nsp] BGP outbound loadsharing

Marco hazzarola at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 15:10:05 EST 2009

Kevin wrote:

> If you have connections to differnt ISPs and cannot
> take full routes then requesting partial routes
> and/or filtering received routes may enable you to
> do some path based TE.
>
> If you have multiple links to the same ISP you can
> set maximum-paths for bgp to install multiple next-hops
> for the same path in the fib.

I've only read something it, however there is also a
useful feature called BGP LINK BANDWIDTH  used to
enable multipath load balancing for external links
with unequal bandwidth capacity. Traffic is sent
proportionally to the bandwidth of the
links that are used to exit the AS.
It requires bgp-multipath(iBGP/eBGP) enabled too.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this ext-community
ovverrides all the other best path selection criterias
and if we can use it when we are multihomed to
multiple ISP

I think is not explained clearly,but if you want to learn
more check
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ftbgplb.html#wp1047649

Comment please!