[c-nsp] DNS rewrite & global capabilities

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Jul 1 07:39:40 EDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Quinn Mahoney wrote:

> That's not saying a whole lot.  You could always get more bandwidth
> and
> more servers.  That doesn't mean it's not helpful to have a
> specialized
> device multiplexing the connections to the servers, and doing more
> sophisticated analysis of the packets before sending them to the
> server.

On the contrary, it's absolutely detrimental to attempt to perform
such analysis on a device which is yet another attack vector, and
which can easily be overwhelmed due to its limited stateful capacity
(multiplexing is useful, but is unrelated to this general topic).

I speak from personal hands-on operational experience, and from the
personal hands-on operational experience of others who with whom I've
worked in this sector.

> "You are claiming that certain firewalls/load-balancers can't firewall
> and inspect packets at millions of packets per second.  This claim is
> inconsistent with current data.

I know how these devices work from the inside-out, having utilized,
deployed, and participated in feature specifications for same.  They
don't do what you claim, and can't ever, due to their inherent design
principles.

> These packets are the same as legit packets, I do not believe a fully
> effective automated system exists.

My hands-on personal operational experience detecting, classifying,
tracing back, and mitigating multi-gb/sec, multi-mpps DDoS attacks
using precisely the approaches I've outlined indicate otherwise.

> Not really saying a whole lot again. My argument was not that the
> products you refer to aren't a part of an effective security solution.

My arguments are based on large-scale operational experience and
detailed knowledge of this topic and of the performance envelopes/
characteristics of these types of devices in real-world situations, as
well as from a design and development perspective.  They are factual,
and represent ground truth, not opinions.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton