[c-nsp] MPLS/BGP - want to add backup IPSEC VPN

tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com
Wed Jul 1 11:34:07 EDT 2009

Peter
If you are the customer and have multiple sites, then I would suggest
you look at Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN). With DMVPN you can have each
branch site create a tunnel dynamically when it needs to send traffic to
the other sites in case of the MPLS link failure. DMVPN only works on
routrs, not firewall, as far as I know. With Phase 3 of the DMVPN your
failover to the backup network would work with normal routing protocols
like EIGRP, changing a route..

Let me know if that's something you are looking for ( I could give you
more info on that ) , here are some links I gathered over the time for
DMVPN
http://delicious.com/search?context=userposts&p=dmvpn&lc=1&u=tomek0001

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Ivan Pepelnjak
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:36 AM
To: 'Peter Rathlev'; 'ChrisSerafin'
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] MPLS/BGP - want to add backup IPSEC VPN

If you're the customer (having only CE routers), this is a classic
primary/backup problem, only this time using BGP as the core routing
protocol.

If you're the provider (using MPLS between your BGP routers to offer
whatever services), you can run MPLS over GRE over IPSec on the backup
link
(just watch for MTU issues). We built a pretty large network using it
and
after the initial kinks it works perfectly.

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/