[c-nsp] MPLS/BGP - want to add backup IPSEC VPN

ChrisSerafin chris at chrisserafin.com
Wed Jul 1 12:30:53 EDT 2009

Peter Rathlev wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 14:11 -0500, ChrisSerafin wrote:
>
>> I have a few MPLS routers running BGP as the routing protocol.
>>
>> I added a public IP'ed interface on a free ports on the same router, and
>> I'm able to get to it and use it for Internet bound traffic if I wish. I
>> would like to configure an IPSEC VPN to provide backup if the MPLS
>> provider fails. I'm having a hard time with Cisco TAC on this, mainly
>> them getting back to me.
>>
>> dumb'ed down diagram is at: http://chrisserafin.com/design.jpg
>>
>> I just want a basic split tunnel VPN in the event the primary MPLS/BGP
>> link goes down. I'm assuming let BGP take care of the MPLS side and add
>> static routes with a very high weight for the VPN failover?
>>

> And the VPN-link needs to carry MPLS traffic too? MPLSoGRE could be an
> option, but support is very limited AFAIK.
>
> Otherwise some extra equipment doing L2TPv3 might work. Performance
> limitations might very well rule this out.
>
> If MPLS isn't needed a simple GRE tunnel would of course do. You could
> even create a new tunnel per VRF if you need reachability in several of
> these. It scales bad concerning administration though.

The VPN will only need to carry the traffic behind router (the remote
subnet) and no MPLS 'traffic', so I'm going to look into GRE.....

Found this:
http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Tech_Insights:Preferring_MPLS_VPN_BGP_Path_with_IGP_Backup
<http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/Tech_Insights:Preferring_MPLS_VPN_BGP_Path_with_IGP_Backup>

But I have no idea how to implement it yet.