[c-nsp] Full BGP feed with DFC3A's

Marco van den Bovenkamp marco at linuxgoeroe.dhs.org
Fri Jul 3 05:27:51 EDT 2009

Phil Mayers wrote:

> jack b wrote:
>> I have a 6509 with a Sup7203BXL that has a few WS-X6816-GBIC with
>> DFC3A's,
>> its my understanding that it will select the lowest common denominator so
>> the Sup is effectively running as a PFC3A. What would happen if I sent
>> this
>> device a full BGP feed?
>
> It will fail, and software switch many prefixes.

If you're lucky, that is. That's what's supposed to happen, but I have
run into this (Sup720non-XL with full feed overflowing the TCAM) and Odd
Things happened. Packets that took paths both the routing table and CEF
FIB said they shouldn't, stuff like that.

Be afraid, be very afraid...

		Regards,

			Marco.