[c-nsp] Free NMS Tools

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jul 3 06:46:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

> Both tools work very well. However, we have recently been pushed to convert
> these solutions to commercial ones as management feels they will get better
> support if they pay for a solution...

absolute rubbish. they should stick with their job and let you
do your job which is ensuring that you have the tools
you need to do yours. i've used several commercial toolls
and not only have they failed on basic things (like
actually finding all the devices on the network even when given
seeding addresses) but they also cannot be modified/enhanced
one evening when you feel like adding a new feature...lets say
adding a few new buttons on the web interface to allow SSH'ing to
the router on hat page.

commercial solution? put in a request...hope it aligns with their
idea of their product (or maybe you pay enough money to get
their attention)..

if networking was based on purely commercial/proprietary tools
then there'd be no internet, no web, no social network sites

alan