[c-nsp] IOS XR BFD

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Sat Jul 4 16:40:20 EDT 2009

2009/7/4 Nick 'tarantul' Novikov <tarantul at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Aaron<dudepron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You must be using something else besides BGP. You need static, RIP, IGRP,
> > EIGRP, ISIS, or OSPF to get your routes into the table. BGP cannot do it
> > alone.
>
> Redistribute full BGP table to IS-IS? No way...
> And this doesn't decide my problem. Traffic to another ASBR _must_
> sent through special link. There's no other way.

Nick, folks are telling clever things.

It is not BGP's deal anyway to control reachability. It's an IGP's task, as
well as the best path calculating. Just let IGP carry loopback /32 prefixes,
then run iBGP on them, not on subifs. iBGP's job is to carry routes
regardless of the topology state.

This sort of design is a standard for some last two decades, so it's at
least strange to go a different way. Moreover I can imagine an only reason
why you can't run IGP --  a lack of control plane resources. I hope it's not
you case (with IOS XR, huh :), otherwise static routes will save you (does
IOS XR support BFD for them? :)

--
Kind regards,
Pavel