[c-nsp] IOS XR BFD

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Mon Jul 6 12:08:17 EDT 2009

> > And my question is not how I should be in this situation.
> > What is the logical explanation that BFD does not work in internal
> > neighbors?
>
> because it hasn't been developed to work in this scenario
> under XR, which is likely due because it's not a commonly
> deployed setup.

... because most Service Provider designs use IGP to address next-hop
reachability issues and convergence and BGP solely to transport reachability
information (which IP prefix is reachable through which next-hop). And,
lacking the infinite development resources, Cisco (and all other vendors)
usually implement what people that buy lots of boxes use in their networks
(that's why the IS-IS implementation is so good).

BTW, even the more "traditional" fast convergence techniques (internal BGP
fast fallover) might be too aggressive and do more harm than good.

Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/