[c-nsp] QoS on 837 using PPPoE

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Wed Jul 8 03:46:14 EDT 2009

In addition when working on QoS on PPPoA we found...

With the SP on the physical vbr-nrt is indeed required. But that breaks the
automatic tracking of the PVC size to the negotiated upstream rate on rate
adaptive DSL. So we had to use TCL to track the DSL speed and change the
VBR-NRT size to match ( we do this hourly in some cases / nightly in others)

Also we usually mark DSCP via the same SP as the policing - but with the SP
on the ATM interface this was broken. So we have to mark inbound on the LAN
and shape outbound on the ATM giving 2 policies to maintain.

If you run MLPPP - then you can do everything on one SP on the bundle
interface but that gave 2 further issues - scaling the head end for MLPPP
performance and we had random drop outs of the Multilink leaving us with no
QoS at all.

All in all - not exactly simple and took months and months of lab work to
get right. Cisco should be taking a long hard look at the architecture for
future xDSL variants - and some decent doumentation wouldnt go amiss either.