[c-nsp] QoS Bandwidth Estimation feature in IOS

luismi asturluismi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 08:26:31 EDT 2009

Is anyone here using "QoS Bandwidth Estimation"?
I just ask it because I think it could be useful for our network here
but I don't see clear how it works and I would like to share some dudes
I have.

As far as I understand, if I have this code:

Router(config)# policy-map my-policy
Router(config-pmap)# class my-class
Router(config-pmap-c)# bandwidth percent 20
Router(config-pmap-c)# estimate bandwidth drop-one-in 100 delay-one-in
100 milliseconds 50

Then, "bandwidth percent 20" is is just applied strictly if the
"estimate bandwith" condition is reached just to achieve the
service-level required for that traffice matched.

Is that correct?
In that case this a new way -at least for me- to manage a congestion
situation, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Luis