[c-nsp] IGMP snooping ME6500

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Sun Jul 12 14:21:16 EDT 2009

That's not really the critical thing, so much as - you need an IGMP
querier active in the VLAN in order for snooping to work
correctly/reliably. Some applications may behave fine without; others
won't. The key is periodic joins from the hosts are required to
maintain membership state for snooping. The querier ensures that happens.

So what you really need is an SVI *with* an IP address for that vlan,
and then enable igmp snooping querier for that vlan. The configured
IP is used to source queries. The SVI in this case can actually be
shutdown, it doesn't really matter.

The config is like:
int vlan 200
  ip add 10.1.1.1/24
  ip igmp snooping querier
  shut

The other option is to just enable PIM on the (admin up) SVI in the
vlan, but you may not want to do that, depends on the network design.

int vlan 200
  ip add 10.1.1.1/24
  ip pim sparse
  no shut

HTH,
Tim

At 10:46 AM 7/12/2009, Adrian Minta remarked:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759