[c-nsp] Mac address flapping..

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Sun Jul 12 19:27:12 EDT 2009

its either a loop, or the server in question is dual homed with the same
mac address on two physical switches.
since your network hasn't yet melted down because of a loop and
loopguard (which you have enabled right?) hasn't seen a BPDU on a port
which shouldn't ever receive them, my money is on a host that is
misconfigured.

e.g. think of the host using the equivalent of a portchannel mode 'on'
and balacning traffic both directions.
your switching infrastructure will see this as a mac-move.

this is not a valid scenario for a host.  the host either needs to be
connected to:
 A. a single physical switch with all physical interfaces configured
into a port channel such that the switch sees it as a single logical link
 B. plugged into multiple physical switches (for redundancy) with the
switches supporting multi chassis ether channel (MCEC).

for (B), the only valid scenarios at this point in time are:
    Catalyst 6500 VSS
    Nexus 7000 virtual Port Channel (vPC)
    Catalyst 3750 switch stack

cheers,