[c-nsp] "Software Download Area is Unavailable at this time"

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jul 13 18:46:56 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 14:22 -0700, Scott Granados wrote:
> Lets face it, there's a trend here.  It's more of this shielding the
> user from the equipment BS which wraps itself in to the company web
> front end as well.
>
> Try configuring some of the VPN hardware with out pointing and
> clicking. It's extremely sad!  I think Cisco and many other companies
> have lost there way when it comes to good interface design, but that's
> just me.

We're migrating to the ASA platform for VPN (from the Altiga VPN3000
boxes). I can't say anything about the webif/ASDM/whatever as I've never
ever had the pleasure to use it, but I like the CLI configuration on the
ASA.

But yes, there's a trend somehow. And maybe one day it'll all just be
point-and-click, but as long as they (Cisco et al) sell shoddy
constructions (hw/sw) that need us "brainy nerds" to function they
better deliver the relevant tools for us to do our jobs.

Alternatively the clueful people will be attracted to other platforms.

Regards,
Peter