[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 14 10:15:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:26:13AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> But isn't that the whole point of MST?

We have found MST to be mostly pointless...

"Too much hassle, too little gain"

But then, we're a service provider environment, and there are hardly
two VLANs that share the same topology - which maps very poorly to MST
instances.  At the same time, there is a fairly high dynamic in adding
and removing VLANs, which is *quite* painful with MST instance
mappings...

I just wish more vendors would see the light and implement rapid-PVSTP.

Or at least PVSTP, instead of "yes, we have VLANs, and a big global single
STP" (which is really useless).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de