[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 14 11:12:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:03:44PM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > I just wish more vendors would see the light and implement rapid-PVSTP.
>
> Rapid per VLAN spanning tree has scaling limitations in many environments.
> Which is why some people go with MST instead.

Usually they claim "it's Cisco proprietary, MST is a proper standard!!!!"
instead.

We have lots of customer setups with ~ 3-4 VLANs each, two of these connecting
to our gear (management network and external/production network) and the
rest spread across a wild mix of different switch vendors, some of them
not even getting MST right.  Fun to debug.  NOT.

MST seems too complex for an average coder to get right...  (it's definitely
too complex for your average network admin).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de