[c-nsp] High CPU Usage

Andrea Montefusco andrea.montefusco at kyneste.com
Tue Jul 14 11:26:09 EDT 2009

Jeremy Parr wrote:
> I have a 2600 doing some GRE tunnel aggregation with IPSEC and a
> AIM-VPN. The CPU is consistently at 95%+, but none of the running
> processes are using nearly that much CPU. Is there some other place I
> should be looking?

If you have ethernet interface(s) in trunk, check that (on the switch side)
only the right VLAN are enabled on switch ports.
In Catalyst you should have, under the trunk port, an instruction like

switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z

where x,y,z are the VLAN id defined/usefule in the router side.
Otherwise all the broadcast traffic of every VLAN
hits anyway the router and the CPU climbs.

   *am*