[c-nsp] CE routes

harbor235 harbor235 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 12:50:42 EDT 2009

I was just reading best practices for MPLS implementations regarding CE to
CE connectivity issues,
specifically, CE to CE pings. The document stated that redistributing
connected PE routes into BGP was
the preferred method to ensure CE to CE ping success as well as other
connectivity issues. This will inject
the route for the PE to CE interface into BGP.I am not sure I agree,  why
not explicitly define which networks to advertise
in the IGP, an IGP in MPLS networks is supposed to hold all infrastructure
routes anyway. Are these interfaces considered
infrstructure or customer interfaces? One reason may be to reduce the number
of infrastructure routes in the IGP because of the
potential for many CE to PE interfaces, let BGP handle the large number of
routes?

I am curious which method is employed in the wild, also I am not sure all
connected routes
should be advertised from the PE, e.g. management/infrastructure interfaces
etc ...

What are your thoughts and how is it being done?

mike