[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Tue Jul 14 14:42:40 EDT 2009

You need to enable MAC reduction (extended vlan range) if you want to
support all 4096 STP instances on a 6500.  I have personally seen over
3000+ STP instances running using PVST+ with MAC reduction enabled.  MAC
reduction will steal bits from the bridge priority in order create 4096
unique bridge IDs.  The CPU load with PVST+ compared with MST is  vary
dramatic.  As long as you stay away from the older 10/100 Ethernet cards
PVST/ RPVST should scale fairly well.  I have seen PVST+ start to fail
when you reach 75,000 virtual ports and MST can easily handle over
100,000 virtual ports.

Clinton.