[c-nsp] Give Cisco your feedback on the new download experience at tacwebsurvey at cisco.com (was: several heart-felt flames regarding the mess that is the Cisco.com download experience)

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Wed Jul 15 03:13:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Saku Ytti wrote:

> While I subscribe to the download manager hate, it doesn't bother me
> nearly as much as unusable bugtool since the last upgrade two years
> ago. Prior to the upgrade, I could solve maybe 1/3 of my cases, without
> involving TAC. At that time, I thought bugtool was incredibly poorly
> implemented, little did I know that it could get worse, much worse.
> Why bugtool bothers me more is that I have software defects more often
> than I need to upgrade boxes (new IOS maybe 3-4 times a year, but defects
> several per week, as I open case for everything out of ordinary), and
> worse come worse I can always email my SE to fetch me latest IOS,
> but sucky bugtool is seriously hurting time it takes for me to solve an
> issue.
>
> I don't think the bugtool can carry that large amount of data, that it
> can't be indexed with modern machine in acceptable time, delivering
> instant searches without any qualifiers. The forced qualifying they now
> have is annoying, as the bugs are tagged so poorly it makes you miss
> them, even choosing just the main train, can lead you off (after you've
> waited 20min to get the results).
> Also how on earth can the bugs be tagged so poorly, I don't think it
> would be large change process or DE effort when fixing a bug, to
> give commitID for fix and commitID for the change which caused the
> bug, allowing software to give perfect list of affected, non-affected
> and fixed IOS'.
>
> So if people are making some stand to CSCO about download manager,
> it would be nice to include bugtool in the cry also.

I guess cisco-nsp has become a soapbox for catharsis in regards to Cisco -
but everyone should realize that is about all it is.  Cisco has no
interest in fixing their download or bugtool problems.  It is a simple
matter of cost cutting and budgets and taking the cheapest offer or hiring
the cheapest labor.

So keep filling out those feedback forms and calling your Cisco bigwig
friends.  If that makes you feel any better, go for it.  Me - I've moved
on as many others have.

Regards,
Hank